Below and Beyond Kyvid
For the King Game Notes
The Heroes Tale:
- The PCs were summoned to Ithica to prove their loyalty to the crown and upon doing so; the throne ordered that they were to leave immediately and serve as a personal task force of the King.
—-The group was given a magical stone used for communication and teleportation by one of the advisor’s Garrot
- The town of Semur was the first location that the PCs were to inspect. The only details given, that a garrison outside of town had gone quiet and the group was to discover why they had not reported in.
—-The PCs discovered that the town and garrison had been overrun with ghouls and that a man in a black hood was responsible. This individual sympathized with the rebel cause and told them for a price, he could give them the power necessary to overthrow the King’s men. Unfortunately, the power was merely a potion that transformed them into mindless ghouls.
—-In the town hall of Semur, the PCs also discovered a Lich who they presumed at first to be the man in the black hood.
- Upon returning to their ship, the PCs encountered a dead man being looted by a group of ogres lead by an Oni. After dispatching them, they found a letter on the body addressed to the Baron of Therund. The letter said that Moonstair needed the Baron’s support because of a pending troll invasion and that the Baron’s own son had been killed by these monsters.
- Garrot was informed by the party of Moonstair’s plight, and he agreed it would be in the best interest of the kingdom to assist this town because of its connections to the Eladrin city of Celduilon.
- The PCs fought into the troll warrens and found a troll calling himself Skalamad. Unfortunately, this Skalamad lived on through the use of an ancient artifact called the Stone Cauldron and the PCs had to follow him through the Feywild portal in Moonstair to destroy the cauldron and kill the troll.
—-In these adventures into Moonstair, the party was joined by a couple new members. A githzerai named Lady Githa, an eladrin wizard name Trystan, and the barbarian K’tan.
—-The party also discovered an heirloom of the Baron’s family that had been carried by his son. The sword was thought to hold powerful magic, but the party was unable to identify it because it was stolen in the night and hidden by Grawr, who had no desire to let the King get his hands on such a powerful object.
- The city of Therund welcomed the PCs, but their news of death brought an air of gloom into the city.
- While in the city, the PCs discovered more about what was happening in the empire with the expansion of Arcanology, the King’s war in Minovea, and the actions of the rebels opposed to the King.
—-In fact, one such rebel named Liron Ocaid was currently confined in the city’s prison, but had recently escaped its dungeons. The man was thought responsible for many recent deaths within the city, but whispers among the rebels suggested that those dying where allied with the rebels. —-The PCs also met a curious man who spoke in riddles. The man went by the name Nakata Tobi and claimed himself as an ambassador from the far West-East.
—-The PCs also heard rumors that King Barlock had recently been in town visiting his cousin, the Baron
- The PCs spent their time searching down the convict Liron and in time they were able to discover his location.
—-Shortly after finding him, the PCs discovered that Liron was a Gatekeeper of Corellon and he was in Therund to stop his associate, Gerard Schaefer who had been killing those allied with the rebel cause. He gave the party chance to do little, but follow after him into the empty stadium of Therund.
—-The stadium erupted into battle as Gerard transformed first into many elemental monsters and then took the form of a red dragon.
- Once again, the PCs were given little chance to react as Liron vanished after the fight and alarms erupted across the city. The city was under attack.
—-It was at this time that the wizard Trystan vanished from the party and has not been seen since.
- An army of ghouls and zombies threw themselves at the walls of Therund, but with the instructions and actions of the PCs, the army was repelled.
- Unfortunately, the smiles didn’t last long as word reach the PCs that the Baron’s castle was under attack from creatures outside of this world.
—-Devils blocked the PCs path, but they were able to carve their way through them and into the Baron’s chamber where they found him dead upon a cross and below him stood the man known as Nakata Tobi and next to him a man in a black hood. Both escaped through a portal and left the PCs to fight off another wave of devils.
- As the last of the devils fell, a strange old man named Vigro entered the room and destroyed the body of the Baron.
—-The man was a master in the order known as the Gatekeepers of Corellon. He told the party of Grawr’s actions and that the sword itself was the key to one of the Gates that imprisoned a great monstrosity behind it. Vigro informed the party of the true nature of the magic stone carried by the PCs, that it was a scrying device meant to spy upon them.
—-Along with Grawr, it was revealed that Kaddim and Lady Githa served the rebel cause. Still, the party needed to put such matters aside because this Tobi cared not for either rebel or loyalist. He desired to use the sword to unleash the beast behind the gate and wreak havoc upon all the people of Utaro.
—-Vigro tells the group that they need to work together despite their differences in opinion and defeat this common enemy. The old wizard then vanished leaving behind, a map to what was thought to possibly be a hideout of Tobi’s.
- The party set out immediately for Hinibi a small trade town closest to the mountains that the party sought.
—-Upon arrive to the town, the ship hit a chunk of ice and sunk to the bottom of the river and they discovered that the town itself had been assaulted by the same army of ghouls that attacked Therund.
—-In Hinibi, the party also came across a guide and fellow half-elf from Garrotta by the name of Peiter.
- The party then set out to find the hideout of Tobi’s which was also thought to hold the phylactery of the Lich they had fought in Semur.
—-Within the lair the party found more undead abominations, including several soldier of Semur who had been trapped here and were experimented on.
—-A tunnel had been dug to a local mausoleum whose coffins had been ripped apart and the bodies within had been animated by for Tobi’s army. The current inhabitants were unruly ghosts that the PCs were able to negotiate with by repairing the damage done to their resting place. A resting place that also served as a shrine to the Raven Queen.
- The Lich was discovered and attacked the party, but he was no match for their combined might. The PCs were then able to destroy the phylactery and find the key to Tobi’s personal chambers.
—-The PCs discovered a great many things here. First they found four portals with each leading to a place of significance. The first portal which had recently been activated lead to Deslana, the next Yarnoch, then Bel’sira, and finally Jarlsburg.
—-Perhaps more importantly, the PCs discovered Tobi’s journal which spoke of his being freed by a King of a local empire who he has slowly corrupted and manipulated. He also spoke of sowing chaos into this empire and by utilizing the information this King Barlock had told him, he would be able to exploit the empire’s weaknesses. Finally, the notes commented on the assassination of several specific targets, the majority of them being key military figureheads.
- The PCs decided to open the recently activated portal and head to Deslana to determine Tobi’s intentions.
- Through the portal to Deslana, the PCs discovered an army of Shadar-kai encamped and ready to move upon Utaro and reclaim their homelands.
—-While scouting through the encampment, the party discovered Tobi giving a rousing speech to the Shadar-kai, but before they could act upon this knowledge they were discovered.
- The PCs had to cut their way through a vast army, but they were able to make their way back to the linked portal that Neil had setup. Unfortunately, elite warriors of Shadar were awaiting their arrival.
—-After an epic battle, the PCs escaped with their lives back into the hideout of Tobi. This time, they discovered that the other three portals had been opened by Tobi.
- The decision was made, the group would set out to Jarlsburg.
—-The group discovered riots happening in the city streets
—-The local farmers were being plagued by pests and livestock had been vanishing
—-Prince Sebastien Conquard of Lithantha was in town negotiating the yearly trade deal between Lithantha and Jarlsburg
—-Oryn Belkov was in a big trade negotiating with Neil’s cousin Phillipe Emmenthal
- The PCs searched the local farms and fought a druid who took the form of a mass of locusts.
- Neil is attacked while sleeping in the family manor and poisoned
—-The party catches assailant who reveals he is from The Light in The Darkness, a guild of assassins
- The party sets out with the woman Neil had been courting, Abigail Sporrell, to the hideout of The Light in The Darkness to find a cure for the poison coursing in Neil’s veins
—-Grawr Raker knows were they are located because the potal in his home links to their hideout
- To be continued